Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Awaiting Our Cue (From an Email to a Friend)

I meant to write to you weeks ago about our individual places in the body of Christ. I was watching a PBS thing about a symphony orchestra, and the Lord really used it with me to show me a few things. I pulled out my journal right there and began to take notes. It was right after I had become so discouraged about my place in the body of Christ, because I didn't like the ministry I have of exhortation (at least at times). I get tired of having to say things when everyone else gets to play the good guy and be well-loved.

So, first: a couple of verses He encouraged me with.

"The Lord looks from heaven; He sees all the sons of men. He fashions their hearts individually; He considers all their works." (Psalm 33:13-15)

"We are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:10)

"Who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" (Esther 4:14)

About the symphony:

Every person had an instrument. Every instrument had a different part. Sometimes the same instruments had different parts to play than each other. Every member got his cue individually from the same person -- the conductor. When each member plays his own part, on his own instrument, the harmony of sound is beautiful -- unified beauty.
It would be so tragic if one part tried to copy another member's or instrument's part.
Sometimes a musician sits idle -- waiting for his part. He doesn't look very busy just then.
It's almost like the conductor plays the orchestra by his direction of it.
The parts are different -- some slightly; some greatly. Some are loud and solo, some are quiet and soothing. Some are part of a group of the same sound.
At the end, it is the conductor who gets the glory.

These things really ministered to me. I don't know -- Lani thought you might like to hear about them, too. We all have different parts to play in the body of Christ. Stillness is supposed to be time of waiting on the conductor's cue. Don't take your cue from the fellow workers -- they could very well be playing a different part, or another instrument all together! Play your own part well, on cue, and He will be glorified by it. And there's a place for your part -- even if you only get to bang the gong one time.

No comments: