Friday, January 4, 2013

The Harmony of One

It is the number we understand first, at least vaguely.
My daughter has been prime factoring lately,
and the question came up: "Is one prime?"
I don't often feel the need to look up something
I have been working with since before I could read,
but I looked up 'the number one' to read about it.
I couldn't help but marvel as I read about it.
'It is sometimes referred to as unity.'

Unity.
The quality or state of not being multiple: oneness.
A condition of harmony: accord.
Continuity without deviation or change (as in purpose or action).
The quality or state of being made one: unification.

"One is its own factorial, its own square, its own cube..."
What is it made of?
It is its own factor.
No other natural number goes into it.
But it goes into every number.
It is neither prime nor composite.
"One is the only positive integer divisible by exactly one positive integer": itself.
Divisible only by itself: multiplied, it remains the same.
It is unique (which, consequently, means 'being the only one').

"In the philosophy of Plotinus,...The One is the ultimate reality 
and source of all existence...
"Philo of Alexandria regards number one as God's number, 
and the basis for all numbers."  

Hear O Israel, the Lord our God the Lord is One.

No comments: