Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Confrontation

Last week I took the kids to the park, where I introduced myself to several moms, and our kids took off playing together. After a little while, Isaiah walked up to one of the mothers and said, "Why does your little girl say that you said she's not allowed to go to church?"

The woman looked puzzled. "What?"

He repeated his question. (The little girl was three.) The mother told him she didn't know why the girl had said that since they did go to church.

Later, in the car, I asked Isaiah about his conversation with the little girl. He told me he had asked her if she went to church, and she had said her mom told her she couldn't. "But she was just a little girl... she didn't know what she was talking about."

He said Elisa had asked her if she believed in God, and she had said, "No."
Talia said, "Are you a good guy?"

"NO!" The little girl ran away. When she came back again, Talia repeated her question.

The little girl said, "No," again.

Confused, Talia said, "Are you a bad guy?"

"No."

"Well, what are you?" Talia asked.

"I'm a good girl!"

Then Isaiah had told her she needed to believe in Jesus if she wanted to go to heaven.

She said, "I don't want to!"

At this point in his story, I said, "Isaiah, when you are talking to people about Jesus, you need to make sure that you aren't sounding bossy."

"I didn't sound bossy, Mom. I just told her that she needs to make a choice. Because God gives everyone a choice."

No comments: