Saturday, May 23, 2009

Getting Home

I drove home alone today from our ladies' retreat. It was after noon, and I hadn't eaten lunch. I passed a number of appealing attractions -- antique stores, art galleries, a yarn store I like, yard sales -- and every time, the thought crossed my mind: 'I could stop for a minute.' Jeff didn't know I was on my way. He wouldn't worry if I got there later. But every time, I thought again: 'No, I want to get home. I miss my husband.' Just south of town, I passed a favorite junk shop, and the thought presented itself again. And again, I thought, 'No -- I want to see my husband.' In town, I passed McDonald's, and considered going through the drive-thru. My hunger had become pain. But again, I drove on. And then I had a lesson. My love for and longing to see my husband caused me to go on and look away from places I like to visit, to turn away from a quick fix for my hunger, and to look forward to home. When presented with temptation, my love for the God whom I serve can fill my mind so that thing looks less attractive. The hunger that I feel can be met at Home.

"It's not that I've already reached the goal or have already completed the course.
But I run to win that which Jesus Christ has already won for me.
Brothers and sisters, I can't consider myself a winner yet.
This is what I do: I don't look back, I lengthen my stride,
and I run straight toward the goal to win the prize that God's heavenly call offers in Christ Jesus. Whoever has a mature faith should think this way.
And if you think differently, God will show you how to think."
Philippians 3:12-15

No comments: