Saturday, August 28, 2010

Space For Quiet


When I finished eighth grade, my parents pulled me out of school to homeschool me. I think it was one of the best things they ever did for me. The most valuable thing about it was the space for quiet it gave me. The schedule I kept when I was in public school did not leave me time to think. I got up very early to get ready, went to school all day long, and was sequestered all evening with homework. I did not spend time with my family, and I did not spend time truly alone, either. Every minute was filled with predigested thought or busy activity. The quiet space that my parents gave to me when they removed me from that bustle allowed me to hear the Lord speak to me. I think we all need quiet space in which to think and hear what the Lord would say to us.

"...Aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business,
and to work with your own hands,
as we commanded you, that you may walk properly
toward those who are outside..."
(1 Thessalonians 4:11)

"Better a handful with quietness than both hands full,
together with toil and grasping for the wind."
(Ecclesiastes 4:6)

"For thus says the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel:
'In returning and rest you shall be saved;
in quietness and confidence shall be your strength.'"
(Isaiah 30:15)

No comments: