Wednesday, March 16, 2011

So That Your Trust


"Incline your ear and hear the words of the wise,
and apply your heart to knowledge...
So that your trust may be in the Lord;
I have instructed you today, even you."
~Proverbs 22:17-19

So often Proverbs is used to bring 'financial peace' and 'wise stewardship'.
There is in a sense, an investment guide for us in God's word.
But it doesn't pay in gold.

"Do not let your heart envy sinners,
but be zealous for the fear of the Lord all the day;
for surely there is a hereafter,
and your hope will not be cut off."
~Proverbs 23:17, 18

I don't think in this case being zealous for the fear of the Lord means waging war against the enemies of God. It is directly contrasted with 'not letting your heart envy sinners'. It has something to do with MY heart. Instead of envying sinners, I ought to fear the Lord.
I ought to trust the Lord.
That's wisdom. That's wise investment.
And my hope will not be cut off.

The purpose of the 'wisdom and knowledge' given in the scriptures is that our trust may be in the Lord. Not in myself, my diligence, and my financial planning.
Trust in the Lord.

No comments: