Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Those Who Wrestle And Don't Let Go


There are others, you know.
Others with trophy scars and injuries 
they received wrestling God, or His agent.

Abraham: 
I counted my son a loss, but held tight to the Living God.

Job: 
"And now my soul is poured out because of my plight; 
the days of my affliction take hold of me... 
He has cast me into the mire, and I have become like dust and ashes... 
You have become cruel to me; 
with the strength of Your hand You oppose me."

My wife told me I ought to curse Him and die. 
Our losses had piled up one after another. 
There was no end in sight, and I was covered in excruciating boils.
Our children were all dead.
I hadn't done anything wrong. 
But I held to Him when He gave me good.
I had to hold to Him in this, too.
"...Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him."
"Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in all the earth?
...And still he holds fast..."

Esther:
"...And if I perish, I perish."

David:
"I will not offer to the Lord my God whole offerings that have cost me nothing."

Daniel:
"When Daniel knew the writing was signed, 
he went home...
And with his windows open toward Jerusalem,
he knelt down on his knees three times that day, 
and prayed and gave thanks before his God."

Moses:
"If Your Presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here."

Ruth:
"Your God will be my God,
and where you die, there will I be buried."
In the face of loss,
death,
bereavement,
misery,
and threats,
each of them essentially said, "I will not let You go except You bless me."

No comments: